Sunday, January 06, 2013

Rashmi bookmarks “The Velveteen Rabbit”

Okay, so you are probably wondering what this children’s book is doing in a blog that features the gore of Yukoko or the drama of The Postmaster or the evil of The Haunting of Hill House or the sex and violence of A Game of Thrones… but sometimes I do like to pick up a long forgotten book, just to revisit some old friends and old memories. (A few months back, I re-read two Enid Blyton books, and loved every moment!)

Although I had not read this particular book as a child, I was pleasantly surprised by the way the story got me hooked right from the very first line, as we walk into a room on Christmas morning, and experience all the magical elements of the day; the toy engine and the clockwork mouse, the nuts and oranges and chocolate almonds, the Aunts and Uncles, the rustling of tissue paper and the unwrapping of parcels! From the very first to the very last line of this magical story, I had a slight mist in my eyes and a slight smile on my lips! (Quite by chance, I actually happened to read it right around Christmas, and that made it even more wonderful!)

The Velveteen Rabbit (or How Toys Become Real) by Margery Williams is the story of a stuffed rabbit, given as a Christmas present to a small boy, and how it becomes Real one day. I really cannot evaluate this book, or talk about my “most favourite parts” or my “least favourite characters” like I usually do… it was a charming little story with a beautiful moral and I loved every moment of the experience! A little bit of love and a little bit of fairy dust came together to create sheer magic!

This may be stating the obvious, but I would highly recommend that every child read (and own) this book.

No comments:

Post a Comment